Patrick Sarsfield Brady

1920 Dec 15. An Auxiliary officer, Section Leader Hart , killed a boy and a priest, Fr. Magner, in an apparently motiveless attack at Dunmanway, County Cork. He was discharged from ADRIC and declared insane by the British authorities. 1 p.m. on December 15, 1920, about thirty auxiliary police left Dunmanway, in two Crossley tenders, with Hart in charge of one tender and a DI in charge of the other, to go to Cork to attend the funeral of Chapman who had been killed in the Dillons Cross Ambush

About a mile along the road they met Canon Magner, the 73 year old parish priest of Dunmanway, and Timothy Crowley, aged twenty-four, a farmer's son. Canon Magner had been walking along the main road. He came across a car broken down on the road and stopped to help. The man driving the car was called Mr. P Brady a Resident Magistrate from Rosebank, Skibbereen. Timothy Crowley also stopped to help. Canon Magner and Crowley pushed the car. Just then the two Crossleys full of Auxiliaries passed them, went on about 100 metres and then backed back. They were coming from the workhouse in Dunmanway.

The cadet in charge stopped the lorries, walked up to Timothy Crowley, asked him for a permit, and then shot him dead with his revolver. He then turned to the priest, and, according to the evidence of one of the police, "started talking to him." Two other cadets went towards him, but Hart turned round, waving his revolver. They withdrew, Hart seized the hat from the priest's head and threw it on the ground and made him kneel down. He fired, and wounded him, and then fired again, killing him. Mr. P Brady, the resident magistrate, who was a witness of the murder, was also threatened with death, but took cover and escaped.

Hart was arrested and court-martialled: at his trial, it was revealed that he had been a "particular friend" of TC Chapman, and had been drinking heavily since 11 December. A number of expert medical witness testified that Hart was insane at the time of the murders and the Courtmartial concluded that he "was guilty of the offenses with which he was charged, but was insane at the time of their commission".

1921 Jan 5. Hart was discharged from the ADRIC.   He  was sentenced to be detained during his Majesty's pleasure and was committed to a criminal lunatic asylum.   He was eventually released and went to South Africa to live

1921 Mar 3. In the House of Commons, Commander Kenworthy asked Sir Hamar Greenwood whether he was aware that Mr. Brady, resident magistrate, present at the murder of Crowley and Canon Magner, stated that the other cadets in the lorry made no attempt to interfere, that Mr. Brady's house was subsequently raided; whether Mr. Brady was called as a witness at the special investigation; whether these other cadets were punished in any way, and whether any of them are now employed in Ireland. Sir Hamar Greenwood answered : " A written statement by Mr. Brady, setting out the full circumstances of the murder, was fully considered in the course of the official investigation into the conduct of the cadets who were witnesses of the occurrence. As a result of this investigation it was decided that these cadets were in no way responsible for the crime, and that no action was called for in their case."

1921 Mar 19. Ministers were asked whether Mr. Brady's house had been raided by the Auxiliaries, whether they had threatened him, and whether he had left the country on the advice of the right honourable gentleman's responsible officers. Replying for Sir Hamar Greenwood, Mr. Henry could not deny this statement, but professed ignorance of the whereabouts of Mr. Brady, who had obtained leave of absence and was " broken down in nerves."

1921 Jul 3. He was kidnapped and held as a "hostage" for 3 weeks. He got a total of £2400 compensation for his ordeal. It is not clear why he was held, but he believed that they wanted to execute him.





1948 Nov , Died

Canon Magnet's Murder