2nd.Lt Desire Fernand Aime Lalande / Desire A F Lalande

   

1898 Aug 19. Born Fulham

1901 census Colwyn St Catherine, Carnarvon, Wales

1911 census 39 Albert Rd, Southport, Lancs

1918 May 1. Commissioned 2nd Lt in MGC. Aime Ferdnand Constance Desire Lalande

1919 Jan/Mar Married in Liverpool to Sharpe

1920 Dec 20. Joined ADRIC with service no 1288. Posted to M Coy

1921 Feb 12. Permitted to resign from ADRIC. No reason in register

1922 Jan 4 Gazetted out Machine Gun Corps. Temp. 2nd, Lts., and retain the rank of 2nd Lt. : — A. F. C. D. Lalande.

1927 Apr 24. Arrives in UK from Rhodesia. Of West Side Mansions, Lord St, Southport. A Planter living in Rhodesia

1933 Jul/Sep Married in Ormskirk , Lancs to Dora E Eyers

1933 Nov 24. Leaves UK for Natal with his wife. He is a planter. Travels 2nd class

1942 Nov 1. Died Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. He was a salesman, living in Nyasaland (Malawi)

His address is the home of African Lakes Corporation in Lilongwe

Built in 1882, from sun-dried grass and mud and bricks, the Old manager’s House in Mandala is the oldest European building in Malawi. Early European settlers used the house and fortified yard as a laager in times of armed conflict from the Angoni days to the Chilembwe Uprising. Defensive walls and towers extended from the main building. The company Mandala was founded in 1878 by the African Lakes Corporation following the settling of missionaries in Blantyre two years earlier by the African Lakes Corporation. Until the end of the 19th century the Old Manager’s House was the centre of commerce for the company African Lakes Corporation. The head Office of ALC was in Glasgow and Mandala was their chief office in Africa. The company carried out their various enterprises and housed their staff on the 6,940 acres of land acquired between the Mudi and Naperi streams. mandala stores could be found countrywide and traded in many different goods such as arms and ammunition, hardware, furnishings, coffee, clothing and much more. Mandala had diverse interests and also owned boats transporting passengers and cargo form the Mozambican coast to and within what was then Nyasaland via the Zambezi river, lake Nyasa and the Shire river. The first officers appointed to the position of General Manager of Mandala were brothers John and Frederick Moir. they used the top floor as living quarters and offices took up the ground floor. the company’s headquarters and trade name became known as Mandala, which means light reflecting off pools of water used by locals to describe the glasses worn by John Moir.Mandala remained in the hands of the ALC until recent years when the latter slowly began to sell of its agricultural and other business interests.

ADRIC