Lt. Cyril John Whyntie MC

1894 Oct 5. Born St Pancras, London

1901 census at 118, High Street, Sevenoaks

1911 census at 116 High Street Sevenoaks

1914 Sep 9 Enlisted

1915 Jul 26 Landed in France

Jack Whyntie’s records show that he remained at the front until February 1917 when he returned home for four months. Perhaps it was during this period of leave that he sat for local photographer, Charles Essenhigh Corke, whose firm was situated on the London Road. The Essenhigh Corke studio had offered free photographs to serving men, and many locals, as well as men who were stationed in the town, took advantage of the offer. In 2008, five hundred glass plate negatives were found in the former studio. These, including Jack’s portrait, were digitised and put on public display before being housed at the Kent County Archives in Maidstone

1917 Jun 26 Commissioned into East Surreys. The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). E Surrey Reg - Cyril John Whyntie

1917 Jun 26. As “D” Company commenced its advance Cyril Whyntie was severely wounded, which resulted in the company going into action devoid of any officers. Zero hour was planned for 0535 hours, but the supporting artillery barrage opened in an irregular way commencing 4 minutes early. The barrage was not sufficiently heavy, and although it moved at a rate of 50 yards per minute, the state of the ground which the assaulting personnel of the 8th (Service) Battalion, East Surrey Regiment had cross whilst following the barrage made it very difficult for most to keep pace. Those men with the battalions Lewis guns, and ammunition bags failed to advance at all as they sank in the deep cloying mud.

1917 Oct 12. A few months later in October 1917, the Sevenoaks Chronicle reported that Jack had been wounded ‘in the big advance, last Friday, October 12th. Going over the top – during which operation all his senior officers were hit – it fell to Lieut. Whyntie’s lot to lead his company on in the advance until he, too, was hit by shrapnel some distance on. Lt. Whyntie is now lying in a hospital at the Base, suffering from shrapnel wounds in the thigh’. The incident was mentioned in the battalion war diary The barrage started at Zero mins four minutes by Brigade time, and appeared fairly intense, but machine gun fire was immediately opened from guns posted close to our tape, which was not touched by the barrage at all. Second Lieutenant C Whyntie, the sole remaining Officer of ‘D’ Company, was wounded at once… In its November 23rd edition the Chronicle was able to report that Jack had sufficiently recovered to be able to rejoin his regiment.

1918 Apr 4. , Jack was again wounded, this time at Villers-Bretonneux on the Somme. Once again the Sevenoaks Chronicle reported news of his injury, stating that on this occasion he had been wounded by a bullet in the arm. Jack was sent back to England where he was treated at the 5th Southern General Hospital before being transferred to a convalescent home for officers. By June 1918 a Medical Board concluded that he had regained perfect movement in his shoulder and was fit for general service.

1918 Sep 19 . Won the Military Cross. T./2nd Lt. (A./Capt.) Cyril John Whyntie,. 8th Bn., E. Surr. R. For conspicuous gallantry and leadership near Ronssoy on the 18th September, 1918. He held his company well together in the dense mist and kept them straight on their objective. Owing to the failure of troops in front to take the Green Lane the company soon found itself in the front line and met with heavy machine-gun fire. He at' once extended his company and pushed on, thereby gaining two thousand yards of ground and reaching the Green Line.

1918 Oct 3. R. Surr. R The undermentioned to be actg. Capts.while comdg. a Co.: — Temp. 2nd Lt. C. J. Whyntie.

1918 Dec 27. E. Surr. R.—The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts, to be temp. Lts: . C. J. Whyntie, M.C. (8th Bn.).

1920 Mar 16. Temp. Lt. C. J Whyntie, M.C., relinquishes his commission on completion of service, and retains the rank of Lt.

1920 Oct 1 Joined ADRIC with service no 655. Posted to F Coy.

1921 Mar 14 On Brunswick St Raid

1921 May 30 Raids with F Coy

1921 Sep 28. Married in Dublin to Helen Webster

1921 Jul 28 to 11 Aug on Leave

Fined £3 by Coy Commander

1921 Sep 23 to 7 Oct on Leave

1922 Jan 17. Discharged on demobilisation of ADRIC

1923 Electoral roll. Living at 36A Sidney Rd, Twickenham

1923 A daughter is born Helen H M

1924 Electoral roll. Living at 36A Sidney Rd, Twickenham

1925 A son Brian J born in Sevenoaks

1935 Oct/Dec Died Sevenoaks, Kent aged 41. Jack Whyntie was taken ill suddenly when preparing to close the shop one Thursday evening in 1935 and died of meningitis on his forty first birthday on the following Saturday 5th October. He was buried in Greatness Cemetery. His brother Fred, who had served as an Air Mechanic during the war, survived him by only two years, dying in 1937, followed the year after by their mother, aged seventy one. William Whyntie, the patriarch of the family, lived on until 1948 when he died aged eighty eight and was survived by his daughters and grandchildren.

And more at