Constable Thomas Sweeney

1896 Dec 25, born in Aughrim, Galway son of John and Mary Sweeney

1901 census Living at Aughrim, Galway with his parents

1911 census Living at Aughrim with his parents

He has been working for Capt O' Neill-Power at Power Hall, Snowhill, Kilkenny when he enlists

Power Hall tenants, Capt O'Neill Power and Power Hall

1915 Nov 6. Enlists with Irish Guards. His service record in the Irish Guards survives. He was born at Aughrim and was a labourer. His next of kin is John Sweeney of Aughrim.

1916 Aug 28. Lands in France

He states that while in action in Sailly Saillisel he was taken ill with Trench Fever and was admitted to no.9 Hospital at Rouen

1917 Jan 11. Returns to UK. He is taken to to Thorpe Military Hospital at Norwich where he stayed 5 months. He rejoined his unit at the Command Depot for 3 months

1918 Jan 31. Returns to France

1918 Mar 28 "Severely wounded" Received gunshot wounds to left forearm and spent some time in hospital.

1918 Apr 1. Returns to UK. His service record has a detailed account of the various hospitals that he was a patient at, but is very difficult to read

1918 Oct 25. Transferred to Labour Corps

1920 Oct 15. Discharged from British Army. He received a 12/- per week disability pension for his wounds. His service record shows that he wanted to take up a job with Glasgow Police, but this does not appear to have materialised, and he reappears in the RIC in Galway, with the RIC record showing that he joined RIC in 1920.

1921 Mar 16. The IRA ambushed a 4 man RIC patrol in Clifden. Two RIC constables were killed. The IRA flying column of the West Galway (Connemara) Brigade was led by Peter (Petie) Joe McDonnell. It retreated to the Maam valley, where they ambushed British reinforcements at Munterowan and Screebe.

1921 Mar 18 Thomas Sweeney died in St Brides Home, Galway. The leg had developed gangrene and had had to be amputated on 18th March. . He soon after this died of shock and haemorrhage. He was later buried at Aughrim

Mr. HENRY The facts of the case are as follow. At 10 p.m. on 16th March two policemen, Constable Reynolds and Constable Sweeney, on patrol with others at Clifden were shot down in cold blood at point-blank range by a party of civilians, some of whom were masked..... Sweeney, who was also an Irishman and had served with distinction in the Irish Guards, was severely wounded in three places and did not survive 48 hours

Clifden Deaths