Lt Harry Biggs

1894 Jun 20. Born Hampshire

1901 census living at 4, Lawrence Road, East Ham, London

1911 census living at Belmont, Halimote Road, Aldershot

He joined the Surrey Yeomanry. His date of landing in France puts him in 1/1 Surrey Yeomanry B Squadron.

1/1 Surrey Yeomanry : B Squadron came under orders of 28th Division at Winchester on 22 December 1914; landed at Le Havre 18 January 1915; embarked at Marseilles for service at Salonica on 4 November 1915, arrived at Alexandria 11 November and disembarked at Salonica on 2 December 1915; left division and formed XVI Corps Cavalry on 27 December 1916. Remained in Salonica for rest of war.

1918 May 10. Reserve Regts of Cavalry. The following Cadets to be temp 2nd Lts - Harry Biggs. Posted to The Curragh

1918 Aug 10. Suffered a fractured skull at The Curragh

1919 Aug 2 Relinquished his commission

1920 Aug 3. Joined ADRIC service number 133, RIC number 76116. or 72325. RIC says previously 13 Hussars?? and was a Lt before joining. He somehow has increased that to "Major" when he was shot

1920 Aug 22. The Roll shows him as Intelligence Officer. It appears to have been IO A Coy from this date.

1920 Sep 9. He is involved in an incient at with Sgt Piggott and Sgt Pratt. He is cited as DI2, reflecting his position as IO

1920 Sep 12. On another raid

1920 Oct. He would probably have moved about 4 weeks before his permanent move to ADRIC on 15 Nov 1920. This was part of the procedure of moving a T/Cadet to the RIC

1920 Nov 19 appointed permanent cadet

1921 Dec 21. Transfered as DI3 to Newport

1921 Apr 16. He had two RIC Constables, CM Martin and Hugh Olpherts, Court Martialled for criminal damage to the shop of Patrick Carey of Rearcross on 23 Jan 1920. They were acquitted on a technicality

1921 Apr 23. A letter sent by an old school friend of Biggs, indicates that they both attended the Cup Final in London on that date.

1921 May 14. The Coolboreen Ambush was sprung by the IRA when a motor car containing 5 people was motoring between Glenstal and Newport in company

On reaching Coolboreen Bridge near Newport the motor car was fired ambushed by a party of armed IRA men led by Sean Gaynor, Miss Barrington and district inspector Biggs being fatally wounded, while Captain Gabbett surrendered and Lieutenant Trengrouse ran away down the road.

It was later reported that Major Biggs – the target - was shot 'ten or twelve times' while he was lying injured in the roadway

He was buried in Aldershot, his home town.

1921 Jul 16 Probate to his father. Estate valued at £188

His parents later got £2000 in a compensation case.