George Emlyn Thomas Hulse Evans MC

1899 Jun 18t. Born Warrington Lancashire birth registered as Thomas Hulse Evans. The RIC record says he was born Lancs so the probability is that this is he. The odd thing is that there is not birth registered in UK for G E T H Evans

1901 census at York Rd, Aldershot. His father is dead

Educated at Christ’s Hospital which would be because of his dead father.

1911 census at 33 York Road Aldershot

1916 Oct. Enlisted in the 28th Battalion, London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles)

1917 Mar 28. The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.), unless otherwise stated, are transferred to Serv. Bns., with seniority as shown against their names: R. Fus.—G. E. T. H. Evans (from R. Suss. R.).

1918 Sep 29. Earns MC. T./Lt. George Emlyn Thomas Hulse Evans, 11th Bn., R. Fus. During operations near Ronssoy, The Knoll and Vendhuile, on the 29th/30th September. 1918, he never failed to get in communication with both the forward companies and brigade. His work under most trying- circumstances enabled communication to be maintained which assisted in the successful result of the operations. He showed great keenness and coolness under fire.

1919 Feb 17. Temp. Lt. G. E, T. H. Evans, M.C., to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co., 11th Bn.

1919 Apr 12. R. Fus. Temp. Lt. G. E. T. H. Evans, M.C., relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to comd. a Co., 11th Bn.

Served in the Army on the Rhine,

1920 Demobilised in the rank of Captain

1920 Aug 30 Joined ADRIC with service no. 70. Posted B Coy

1920 Nov 21. Resigned from ADRIC on appointment to Indian Police

1925 Dec 2. married in Calcutta, Bengal, India to Margery Elliot Evans Armstrong (1905–1986)

1926 Aug 16 Arrives in UK by ship. His job is Indian Police, his last country of permanent residence is France. His UK address is Cargate Hill, Aldershot, and he is accompanied by his wife Margery Elliot Evans

1928 Oct 28 child born in India, Hugh John Evans

1931 Apr 17 Arrives in UK from Calcutta with his wife and 2 year old son Hugh John Evans. Indian Police

1942 Jan 1. Gazetted Kings Police Medal ‘Mr. Evans joined the Indian Police in 1921 after a distinguished period of service in the last war during which he earned the M.C. After the usual periods of service as an Assistant Superintendent of Police, he commenced to act as a Superintendent of Police in 1927, and was confirmed in this rank in 1931. He soon earned the reputation of being well suited for “tough” districts and was posted to Midnapore in the troubled times of 1932 to 1934. Five days after he joined, Mr. Douglas, the District Magistrate, was assassinated and Mr. Evans took up the investigation of this case and controlled it through all its stages, the case ending in the death sentence on the arrested assailant.

His final appointment in India was a Deputy Inspector-General in East Bengal with the command of 6000 men.

1946 Jan 1. Gazetted OBE. The recommendation states: ‘Mr. Evans joined the Indian Police in 1921 after four years service in the British Army during which he was awarded the M.C. In the course of his service in Bengal he held with distinction the posts of Superintendent of Police in the difficult districts of Midnapore and Chittagong. His consistently good work both in the districts and as Assistant Inspector-General of Police earned him the K.P.M. in 1942. After the outbreak of war with Japan he was appointed a Special Officer in the Inspector-General’s Office for dealing with the very large number of new problems arising from war conditions. In this post the responsibility fell to him to work out in full detail schemes for which there was no guide in regulation or precedent. His great vitality, power of application, and strong grasp of administrative principles have been invaluable to the police administration of the Province.’

Towards the end of the next year, Mr. Burge was murdered in the same district on the football field. At this time his Deputy Inspector-General wrote that Mr. Evans had a very good idea of the Jugantar Party operating in Midnapore District but was badly served by his sources. It must be borne in mind that at this time with the third assassination of a District Magistrate sources were very chary of coming forward with any information at all and at that time the Intelligence Branch staff in the district was not as large as it might have been. Before the end of the day on which the murder took place, Mr. Evans had arrested 50 of the most important members of the party and when the Inspector-General and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Intelligence Branch, looked into the matter the next day they were very impressed with Mr. Evans’ local knowledge. In the course of the next few weeks, though extremely busy with tightening up protective measures, with the introduction of the identity card system and curfew orders in Midnapore, and with recruiting an additional town police force, he threw himself heart and soul into the investigation of this case.

The Legal Remembrancer and the Special Prosecuting Officer selected for this case pointed out certain weaknesses in the case and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police of the Range subjected the investigation to a very severe criticism knowing that if the case failed valuable ground would be lost in Midnapore. Men of less tenacity might have thought that since the superior officers and the law officers were not entirely sanguine as to the successful prosecution of this case, the case might be abandoned. Mr. Evans, however, was only spurred to further efforts and was untiring in his advocacy of a charge sheet. Finally, sanction to prosecute 13 persons was given. Even here the trouble did not cease because the public witnesses were in terror of their lives and it needed all the personal tact and precaution that Mr. Evans could give to pilot this case successfully through two Special Tribunals.

Shortly afterwards, he was transferred to the Calcutta Police where he served in the Port Police, in the North District and in charge of the Detective Department, where he showed marked ability. After a spell of leave he was posted in 1938 as a Superintendent of Police, Chittagong, another “troubled” district, where his work was of a very high order. Prior to his posting in this district there had been a tendency on the part of his predecessors to regard touring as impracticable because the District Intelligence Branch work at H.Q. and in the office was considered so important and partly because of the disturbed state of the district. Mr. Evans at once remedied this and toured through all parts of the district, visiting in person every police station. He infused confidence in his men and cleared up a number of difficult problems which had arisen as a result of the disturbed conditions prevailing in that district in 1931.

In April 1940, he was selected to fill a vacancy which had suddenly arisen on the staff of the Inspector-General for an Assistant Inspector-General, and despite the heavy work of the branch to which he was posted and the many new problems arising out of the War and the Defence of India Act, he set to so indefatigably and was so thorough and so sound in his work that his Inspector-General experienced no material inconvenience or delay from his change of staff officers in the middle of the war period. Since then he has been of great assistance in the preparation of further schemes in connection with Air Raid Precautions and the War generally. Mr. Evans is a courageous officer, full of sound common sense and extremely loyal to his superior officers and to the Service to which he belongs.’

1947 to 1952 A Principal Officer of the Control Commission for Germany 1947-52. The post held the equivalent military rank of Colonel, he served in the “American Zone” in Bavaria, reporting on the political and economic situation to the Foreign Office and to the German Administration, and latterly was based in Munich as a British Land Observer.

1953 May 18. Short Serv. Commn. George Emlyn Thomas Hulse Evans, O.B.E., M.C. (425156) to be Maj., (without pay and allces. from Army Funds).

1952 to 1955. Egypt. Public Safety Adviser to the G.O.C., British Troops in Egypt. He established a British Police Force in the Canal Zone by 1955, then became a Liaison Officer for the Colonial Office advising on the secondment of British police officers to the Cyprus Police.

1955 Nov 8. Short Serv. Commns. Maj. G. E. T. H. Evans, O.B.E., M.C. (425156), relinquishes his commn.

1956 Aug 10. Short Serv. Commns. George Emlyn Thomas Hulse Evans, O.B.E., M.C. (425156) to be Maj.,

1956 Recalled over the Suez Crisis, he was landed at Port Said as a Civil Affairs Officer on General Sir Hugh Stockwell’s Staff. He landed at Port Said that November with the advance H.Q and remained until the withdrawal . Mention in despatches Gazette 13 June 1957: ‘In recognition of services in operations in the Near East, October-December 1956.’

1957 Mar 10. Short Serv. Commns. Maj. G. E. T. H. Evans, O.BE., M.C. (425156), relinquishes his commn. on completion of service,

Retired to Suffolk

1961 May Died Colchester aged 61