Thomas O’Brien Gore Hickman

This is an attempt to find out the truth, if any behind a report in the Clare Herald that says that the owner of Kilmore House's son was said to have joined the R.I.C. Auxiliaries and gained a notorious reputation in the Longford / Roscommon area. I cannot find any record in ADRIC of an officer either Gore-Hickman or Hickman, having been through all "G" and "H" entries in register. He was in fact a Regular RIC DI3 from early 1920, and never joined the ADRIC

Certainly Francis Hickman owned Kilmore House, and Thomas O'Brien Gore Hickman his son there in 1901 who was born Clare. The said Thomas went on to be commissioned in Dublin Fusiliers and RAF. He later emigrated to Canada

1892 Jul 12.. Born Kilrush, Co Clare. Thomas O’Brien Gore Hickman

1901 census at Kilmore House, Clare

1911 census for Kilmore House

1909 to 1914 He worked as a Telegraph Engineer at Central and Broadway South American Cable Company in New York

1914 Nov 1. Arrives UK from Argentina. The ship contains many prospective soldiers. Enlists that day as a Private in RGA #48700

1915 Feb 7. Transfers as a Private in 7th RDF #18864

1915 Jun 7.Wounded in face at Wytacbaete Ridge

1915 Aug 7. Lands Gallipoli.

1915 Sep 16. R Dublin Fus. Commissioned 2nd Lt. Thomas O'B. Gore-Hickman (from General List).

1917 Nov 6. Attached to R. Ir. Regt. Temp. Lt. T. O'B. Gore-Hickman, from R. Dub. Fus., to be temp. Lt. 6 Nov. 1917, with seniority 1 July 1917

1918 Mar 26. R. Dub. Fus. Temp. Lt. T. O'B. Gore-Hickman, from a Garr. Bn., R. Ir. Regt., to be temp. Lt. 26 Mar. 1918, with seniority 1 July 1917.

RAF Record

1919 Apr 3 Demobbed from RAF

1919 Nov 11. Thomas O'Brien Gore Hickman joined the R.I.C. as a Cadet, he was not a member of the ADRIC,

1920 Apr 1 He was appointed a District Inspector DI3 and was allocated to Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo on the 6/4/1920.

1920 16th July (Irish Times). The Shooting of Clare Land Agent. Sequel to agrarian dispute: - Crown witness kidnapped. Our Kilrush Correspondent telegraphs: - An alarming report was received in Kilrush early on Wednesday morning that Mr. Martin, agent on the Hickman property, Kilmore, Knock, West Clare, was attacked by a party of armed men, fired upon, and seriously injured.-----. it should be mentioned that the principal witness has since been kidnapped. Mr. Martin an Ulster Protestant who worked as a steward at Kilmore House shot at a group of I.R.A. Volunteers who were approaching the house to enforce a decision passed by the local Dail court against Hickman  The I.R.A. returned fire, and in the shoot-out one of the I.R.A. men accidentally shot and mortally wounded I.R.A. Volunteer Patrick Hassett. In the confusion that followed, the republicans wounded Martin and left assuming he was dead. Martin made a full recovery, resigned his position and returned to his home in the North. Following this, a party of British soldiers were stationed at Kilmore House.

He was in receipt of a First Class Favourable record for the defence of Tubbercurry Barracks

1920 Aug. The soldiers were evacuated after the I.R.A. ambushed their supply lorry. Martin was replaced as steward of Kilmore by Richard Behan.

1920 Sep 1. he was transferred to Mohill, Co. Leitrim as District Inspector DI2

1921 May 8 Arson attack on Kilmore House. The Saturday Record of 10 Oct 1921 reported on the court case for compensation. – Attack on Kilmore House. Solicitor Claim. At the Ennis Quarter Sessions Judge Bodkin, K.C., heard an application for £500 from Mr. F.W. Hickman, solr., in connection with an attack on Kilmore house, near Kilrush... Evidence of the attack upon the house was given by Sergeant O’Dwyer, Kilrush, who said on the 8th of May he received a report of an attack upon Kilmore House, to which he and a party of police proceeded. He found the house had been attacked and damaged; four windows were destroyed; damage was done to the library and drawing room. There were gun-shot marks on the ceiling. The house at the time was unoccupied by a caretaker. He understood that a party of armed men made an attack upon the house. Applicant gave evidence of his visit to the house, after the occurrence. He found the house was set fire to in different places. The windows were riddled with bullets. Mr. J. Lynch estimated that it would cost £30 to repair the book-case in the library of the house. Mr. Slade, Architect, Limerick, estimated that £91 19s would be required  to repair the damage done to the house. His Honour awarded applicant £135 compensation, with £16 10s expenses

1921 Mar 11 Another First Class Favourable award for an ambush at Selton Hill, Mohill, Co. Leitrim

1922 Mar 18 . A report in Saturday Record – Shooting at Knock, West Clare. A shooting incident took place at the village of Knock on Saturday night week, which was fortunately unattended by any serious results. It appears that at about half past eight, as Mr. Richard Behan, caretaker of Kilmore House, Knock, was in the act of going into the house, a shot was fired at him. He was knocked with the shock, and while on the ground a second shot was fired at him. He was slightly wounded on the arm and back and was removed to St. Joseph’s Hospital, Kilrush. On Sunday morning District Inspector Cummins, visited the scene of the shooting, but so far no arrests have been made. There is a dispute going on in Kilrush for some time in connection with the dividing up of this land. Some time ago Mr. Martin was caretaker of the place, was fired at and seriously wounded. Some young men from the district were then arrested and imprisoned in connection with the case, the principal Crown witness at the time being kidnapped.

1921 Apr 19 relinquished his commission

1922 Apr 27. F WG Hickman was served with a notice by an officer of the I R A, headed “Oglaigh na hEireann, H Q 1st Western Division” giving him notice to leave his house, as it was required for men and women who were being driven out of Northern towns by Orange-men. Mr. Hickman was notified that his house and entire property had been confiscated. The Hickmans never returned to Kilmore with the exception of a visit by F.W.G. Hickman, D.L., in an inspection to identify some of the looted furniture. The site of Kilmore House is now that all remains the stones from the mansion were used to construct several houses within the area

1922 Saturday 5th August (CC). Burnings in Kilrush On Sunday, Kilmore House, Knock, a beautiful mansion the property of Mr. Hickman, solr. Ennis was burned to the ground.

1923 Feb 9 . NOTICE is hereby given, .that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the under signed, Thomas O'Brien Gore-Hickman and Eobert Sidney Smalley, carrying on 'business as Fish Merchants, at the Fish Docks, Grimsby, .under the firm or style of HICKMAN & SMALLEY, has been dissolved, as from the 'date hereof, by mutual consent. All debts due,to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid respectively by the said Eobert Sidney Smalley, at the Fish Docks, Grimsby.

1923 Jun 6. Clee, Lincs. Thomas O'Brien Gore Hickman married May Swift (she had been widowed, having married William Swift in 1915) )

1925 Mar 21 Leaves UK to emigrate to Canada with wife and child. He is a Farmer & Police Officer

1925 9th May (Irish Times). Confiscation in Clare. Remarkable Story of Persecution -Valuable Property Ruined: -
Mr. Commissioner R J Doyle, sitting at Ennis yesterday, reserved judgment in the appeal of Mr. F W Gore-Hickman, solicitor, against the award of the County Court Judge of £17,777 and a report for a further sum of £3,286,on his application for £40,000 compensation for the seizing and destruction of the family mansion at Kilmore, damage to two weirs on the Shannon, the destruction of woods and the loss of stock.
Mr. T J O'Donnell stated that the Hickman family had lived uninterruptedly in Clare for nearly 300 years, and their mansion at Kilmore was one of the most picturesque in the county. It was about six miles from Kilrush, on the banks of the Shannon, and its amenities included woods, 500 acres of land, and an extremely valuable fishery. Six sons served in the British Army during the Great War, one being killed, and their action in enlisting possibly had something to do with the persecution to which they had been subjected.
The trouble started in 1916, grew worse in 1917, when the appellant's father died, and gradually became so violent that the family had to withdraw entirely from Kilmore. In 1918 the appellant had to remove his mother and sisters, and a steward he installed had scarcely taken up duty before he was attacked by a band of armed men. He was riddled with shot, and got a rifle bullet through the lungs, while one of his assailants was killed by the crossfire of the attackers. The steward dragged himself to the house, which was surrounded by the raiders, who refused to permit a doctor to be fetched. It was not for some time that Mr. Hickman heard of the affair, and succeeded in bringing him assistance. In 1920 the Clare Asylum Committee dismissed Mr. Hickman from his position as their solicitor simply because he did his duty as a professional man, and acted in a compensation claim for the British Officer Commanding in Ennis. His wife's house at Hazelwood, near Ennis, was burned down by armed men. In July 1921 Mrs. Hickman had to go to live in London, and Mr. Hickman himself had to live in a room over his offices in Ennis, where he still was.
Meantime things in Kilmore had gone to appalling lengths. The woods were denuded of timber, no less than 1,900 trees, worth about 35s each, being cut down and taken away. All the valuable fruit trees in the orchard were rooted up and taken, while the others were destroyed just as the Germans had acted during their retreats. The fishery which produced as much as £1,000 a year for Mr. Hickman was worked by people from the surrounding districts: the cattle were taken off the land and sold, but the proceeds were not paid to Mr. Hickman. Herds of cattle were put in to graze by the people around, and he could not go near the place.
The climax was reached when, on 27th April 1922,he was served with a notice by an officer of the I R A, headed “Oglaigh na hEireann, H Q 1st Western Division” giving him notice to leave his house, as it was required for men and women who were being driven out of Northern towns by Orange-men. Mr. Hickman was notified that his house and entire property had been confiscated.
Counsel, in concluding said that since some semblance of order had been restored Mr. Hickman had made repeated applications to the Free State Government for protection. On the 7th April 1923, he received a letter signed by Mr. John Collins, one of the Land Settlement Commissioners, telling him that protection could not be provided until he repaired his boundary fences. Counsel thought that a very remarkable attitude for a Government department to take up, in view of the fact that Mr. Hickman could not even venture to Kilmore, and that the lands were being grazed illegally up to the present date.
Mr. Hickman in evidence said that even now he could only go to Kilmore clandestinely.
Mr. Joseph Healy, counsel for the State said that their valuation of the house, as a house, was £4,050.
Mr. Hugh Woods, C E, Dublin, estimated the value of the house as £12,000.
Mr. Arthur Barraclough, of the firm of Messrs, Battersby, said his estimate of £4,050 was based of 15 years' purchase of a net letting value of £270.
The Commissioner reserved his decision.

1940 - 1947 Staff Major , Military District no 13 , Canada

1941 Admitted to Canadian Bar

1947 Apr 1. Thomas Gore-Hickman of Calgary began his duties April 1 as the new police magistrate at Medicine Hat..Lethbridge Herald (Newspaper) - April 2, 1947,

1961 Jun 30. Thomas O'Brien Gore Hickman retires as a magistrate in Alberta, Canada.

1976 Mar 3 His May wife died at Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

1976 Nov He re-married Alice Minty at Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

1982 Dec 27. Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. Buried at Mountain View Cemetery Lethbridge Alberta, Canada


WO 339/44283 His Royal Dublin Fusiliers record